Saturday 28 January 2023

About a 'dairy free' diet and its connection to inflammatory bowel diseases

These are the key points I took from excerpts published in the Daily Mail, in May 2000, from 'Your Life in Your Hands' by Jane Plant, based on the original Chinese way of eating.
  • Milk is a whole food for babies.
  • We are the only mammals who continue to consume milk, in any form, after weaning.
  • We are the only mammals who consume the milk of another mammal.
The following points were gleaned from a dairy-free cookbook, which had a long foreword on lactose intolerance.
  • At the age of about 4, we no longer produce lactase, the enzyme that digests the milk sugar, lactose. (See below) 
  • By the age of 50, approximately 70% of adults are lactose intolerant.
  • This is the age when many adults develop inflammatory bowel disease of one kind or another.
These points led me to give up all dairy products. From that time on, I have had no recurrence of the symptoms of ulcerative colitis which I had had for thirty years since my mid-twenties. 

When I mentioned this to my consultant at the time, he told me that there was some scientific evidence of a correlation between dairy products and inflammatory bowel disease. 

NB  I read somewhere that because our consumption of milk has been a part of our diet for maybe thousands of years, our bodies can continue to produce lactase for years but by the age of fifty, this begins to tail off.


No comments:

Post a Comment