Tuesday 31 January 2023

About trying to help a friend

For quite some years, I used to call regularly on a friend who struggled to deal with the 'clutter' of everyday life. I attempted to help her as best I could, understanding and sympathising to quite a large extent, finding these things difficult myself.

After more than 10 years, the situation had not advanced one jot, going, perhaps, 40 steps forward, then 39, or even 41, steps backwards! In the end, sadly, I had to stop going because I found it frustrating and upsetting, helping neither my friend nor me.

We have stayed in touch over the years and, during a chat on the phone, when I expressed my sadness that I hadn't been able to help in any permanent way, she said the following, which made all the difference.

"You kept my head above water. You stopped me from drowning. "

It meant so much that I wrote it down straight away and have been meaning to share it on a post because it showed me that we never know how we may be helping someone, even if we think we are failing.

Maybe it's the effort and not the outcome that is important. 

No comments: