Saturday 23 September 2017

About Stoicism

I read this definition recently and really liked it.

"Stoicism is.....coming to terms with reality and learning to live with it."

The writer (Quentin de la Bedoyere) continues with an example:

"So, if you crash your car and you are jumping up and down with rage, a passing Stoic would tell you that your anger is pointless - just accept the crash and think about your next rational step."

He goes on to add, "Easier said than done, but you suspect that he's right." , and ends the article with these words: "I would like to report that I am far advanced in my Stoicism but it is a work in progress. It certainly helps me to reduce irrational anxieties even if I cannot always quench them. And I have far fewer occasions of panic."

It sounds like it's well worth applying the Stoic approach. I hope to remember to try!

Catholic Herald: August 25 2017