Friday 8 September 2017

About skinning potatoes (plus a PPS)

There is no-one on God's earth who can convince me that eating a potato skin is a good thing to do, although I admit I do have an OCD issue with cleaning/rinsing food.

Skin, as far as I know, is dead material and, furthermore, potato skins are dirty, which they have a right to be, considering that they are grown in soil. No amount of (over-labour-intensive, in my view anyway) scrubbing induces me to wish to eat them, even though I'm assured that the heat has taken care of the possible germs. It's the dirt I'm bothered about.

So how to remove the skins. There are two main problems with potato peelers; one, they almost always take too much potato away, thereby removing the most nutritionally important part which is just BELOW the skin and two, peeling is such a horrible job!

Hence, I have come quite a long way in developing methods of skinning my spuds. Following are some tips for the various methods of cooking, should you wish to try. The basic principle is to 'cook' to just softening level, leave for about 2 minutes, dip in cold water and strip the skin away (I use my fingers) and rinse with clean water.

  1. MIcrowave (only really useful for 1-4 potatoes) Score each potato with a sharp knife. I have tried a cross on each side but am now going for a ring around the middle or longways or occasionally both. 
  2. Oven (Temp approximately 180) Place the potatoes on a metal dish (sometimes, I put some water in as well to keep them soft), place in the oven for about 40 minutes. Strip the skins as above and then continue to cook as roast or whole or wedges until cooked through. This works on higher or lower temperatures by adjusting the timing. PPS I drizzle the surface of the potatoes with oil (sunflower is supposed to be better for high temperatures) having shaken the skinned potatoes in water to ruffle the outside for roasties.
  3. Saucepan This method works really well for new potatoes and though fiddly, it is, to my mind, a lot easier than scraping. I always start cooking them earlier than usual because the skinning is done at the end of the cooking. I find this method is not as successful with old potatoes because they tend to go mushy but I still prefer it because I hate all the waste of potato that peeling produces. 
(One of my son-in-laws calls me frugal, which I don't care for, preferring 'economical'. I leave you to be the judge.)

PS Sometimes, the skin comes off so cleanly, it's a joy, but, often, chunks of potato stay on the skin. I look on that as my perk because I eat those bits as I go along; naughty but nice, as I am a great lover of potatoes!


No comments:

Post a Comment