Wednesday 11 June 2014

About reprogramming the brain (i.e. learning to stop rinsing my teeth!!)

On a recent visit to the dentist, I learned, by the by, that rinsing after brushing my teeth with fluoride toothpaste (which is, apparently, ALL toothpaste) is a 'bad thing'. It washes off the fluoride which is supposed to protect them!
But how to stop doing it?! A twice-a-day (tooth)life habit is hard to break, I've found. After three or four days, I was managing to remember about half the time. Even though I might have thought about not doing it beforehand, I'd still find I'd done the deed before I'd realised.

How much of our lives is operated on 'automatic pilot'? How many journeys to work have we made and then thought, "how on earth have I got here!?"

Maybe the present interest in 'Mindfulness' is good but I reckon I should be aiming for some 'mindlessness'. I'm sure my mind is so overfull of 'all-sorts', that there's no room left for being aware of what I'm actually doing. If I manage to work on that, it should, if nothing else, help to make my teeth last longer!

PS This is in appreciation of my very nice dentist and his assistants, for all they've done over the years to keep my teeth on the dental straight and narrow.


No comments: