Monday 16 June 2014

About making 'Chocolate Digestives' for the first time! / Plus some hints on fighting binge-eating.

I can't tell you the excitement I felt when, one Sunday morning a few weeks ago, I melted my dairy-free (that meant I could eat it) chocolate and successfully coated the biscuits I'd made the day before. Half a bar (100 g) covered 24 of them; WHAT JOY!

In my days of binge-eating (more on that another day, perhaps) I could eat a whole packet of the 'proper' ones, so to have these as my home-made Sunday treat was more than a bonus.

(The biscuit recipe is a doddle so I'll add it on another post, in case anyone wants to try it.)

The extra bonus is that I've extended my Sunday treat rule to include Bank Holidays and added two pieces of chocolate after lunch and in the evening. For recovering binge-eaters like myself, what seems to work for me is that if I give myself 'permission' to have something, I'm not then tempted to go into the "I've done something wrong" (eating-wise) mode so the 'in for a penny, in for a pound' self-destructive mode has not been going into operation.

I never say never again but this latest phase has been the most successful of my entire life and has lasted about 6 years or longer. I'm as near to being a 'sylph' (and that's a long way off) as I'm ever likely to be!

So home-made chocolate digestives have become a regular, and, I'm pleased to say, very popular Sunday treat with us all (but most especially with me - Sunday treat heaven!!)!