Friday 16 November 2018

About men and women without each other

These two images came to mind recently.

A man without his loved one is like a coat without a body. 
A woman without her loved one is like a body without a coat.

The first of the two may be based on a line in a poem I read in the magazine of the Poetry Society, many years ago, when I was a student at Liverpool University, which has always stayed with me.

"I am a coat on a hanger whose owner is never coming back."

I found that such a vivid image that I have never forgotten it.

These are very broad generalisations, but I feel that there is a certain poetic truth within them.

Some images from nature came into my mind.

Looking at fruit, in particular, an orange has a tough skin and tender fruit An apple has a 'not quite so tough' skin and a 'not quite so tough' fruit. It seems that the tenderness of the fruit complements the toughness of the skin.

The fruit without the skin is worthless, the orange dries up and the apple turns brown. The skins dry out, shrivel up and harden.

Maybe we could say bodies need coats and coats need bodies so maybe the corollary could be made that says men and women in general need each other.

Of course, as with all generalisations, this is never going to always be the case.

No comments: