Sunday 21 August 2016

On having the temerity to want to write about parenting

I have two major qualifications for daring to write on this subject. Firstly, I am a parent, both through giving birth and through marriage; and secondly, I've probably made most of the mistakes in the book (if there were such a thing as a definitive manual on the subject!).
Others include having had parents myself along with the rest of humanity, which makes us all experts, we probably feel. I've also had the great blessing of very good friends with whom to share the ups and downs of family life. We have all observed and learned from each other along the way.
In recent years, too, there have been some excellent programmes on this subject from some of which I've gained really helpful insights, sadly too late in the day for my own children's benefit (I hear them groan).
Being as good a parent as most of us would like to be is such a hard job I reckon, so any help along the way has always been a boon to me. If I can share any thoughts and experiences that have helped me and that might be of use to others, I would be more than pleased.
As thoughts come to me, I'd like to share them from time to time but couldn't contemplate doing so without first writing this preamble.



No comments: