Sunday 14 August 2016

On Daniel Barenboim and Mozart

Some background first; my earliest and greatest love in music was, and still is, Beethoven. He was my parents' favourite, their most beloved pieces being the Pastoral Symphony and the Emperor Piano Concerto.
At that time, Mozart wasn't as popular as he is now and I wasn't that keen. Nor was I particularly keen on the persona of the young Daniel Barenboim; somewhat precocious, I felt!
Still, when we found he was coming to our local (and excellent) concert hall, best friend, S, and I bought tickets. It was a Friday evening in the summer. I can even remember where we were sitting. The hall was completely sold out.
He was playing and conducting a small and brilliant orchestra whose name I can no longer remember (I'll have the programme somewhere in the recesses of my souvenir cupboard - the contents of which will land in a 'bonfire of the vanities' when I die - as the children warn me!).
The concert consisted of three Mozart concertos, and we, the audience, were held in the palm of the pianist's hands. It was totally true to say that you could have heard a pin drop. It was as though we all held our breath while he played.
It wasn't as if he played completely perfectly; he didn't, but the feeling, the delicacy, the beauty were matchless. It still remains one of the most memorable concerts which I have ever attended.
I am reminded of this, this afternoon, as, while husband and son-at-home are pursuing their usual after-Sunday-lunch occupation of watching the football (well it is Man-U, and though they both support our local team, they follow Man-U as well), I listen to my CDs as I try to write in the daytime rather than snatched half-hours in the late evening.
My alphabetical choice had brought me to
'MOZART Concertos pour piano 9,20,21,23 & 27 with the English Chamber Orchestra DANIEL BARENBOIM - EMI CLASSICS' ie very old, from 1967.
I think that was the orchestra he was with, now I come to think of it. Listening to his playing has brought tears to my eyes in the sad parts and incredulity at the sparkling brilliance of the playing.
He has so many achievements of which to be proud but nothing can top the genius of that rare and amazing gift. I feel privileged to be able to say that I heard him play live.

(I feel I must also add that Mozart is now higher up my play-list too!)


No comments:

Post a Comment