Friday 3 October 2014

About making mistakes

My patience in persevering with the television series "The Paradise" paid off in one particular respect. It was to hear this line more than once; "Let us not dwell on our mistakes; let us learn from them". I know that this is not the most original statement ever made but for some reason or other it resonated with me at that time.

To be human is to make mistakes; to dwell on them is is not only fruitless but destructive, leading, as it does so easily, to feelings of inadequacy, despondency and the like. To acknowledge, accept and learn from our failures is to turn the negative into the positive, an opportunity for growth.

This is all very well in theory of course, but the reality, in my case and maybe for others too, is that I still react very badly to making mistakes because I have this irrational fear of being 'told off'; no doubt a throw-back from childhood. I like to hope/think I'm not alone in this but I can always hope that occasionally I may remember the advice!

(PS Another scrap of paper bites the dust! Yesss!)