Thursday 11 October 2018

About Lauren Zhang, the music of Scarlatti and Bach and the wonders of You Tube

As I write this, Lauren Zhang, performing the Scarlatti piece she played at this year's BBC Young Musician of the Year competition, is playing in the background. As soon as I heard her playing that night, I was entranced and wanted her to win.

It reminded me that I have two (very old) LPs which include Scarlatti pieces. One of the LPs is a Peter Katin Piano Recital (1971) and the other is John Williams Greatest Hits (1974)!! On both the piano and the guitar, the sonatas have a sparkling, delightfully joyous and rhythmical beauty which I find captivating.

It came to me that Scarlatti's music is like Bach's but 'prettier' perhaps, not quite so pulsating and passionate. Maybe everyone doesn't find those qualities in Bach but I do and that is why I love his music so much.

Bach's 1st piano (keyboard) concerto would be my own choice as one of the greatest examples of this. Through the wonder of YouTube, I have just magicked it up before my very eyes.

A wonderful pianist named Polina Osetinskaya is bringing it into our living room and I am nearly as close to her as the young lady who is unobtrusively turning the pages of her music.

As I watch every move of her amazing hands and fingers, I'm thinking to myself, "What more could anyone want to bring an evening to its end?" In my case, nothing.