Monday 2 October 2017

The magical 'silent e' - updates +

Added above:
envelop/envelope

quit/quite  twin/twine  fin/fine

hug/huge  sat/sate  Tim/time  wad/wade  hop/hope

scrap/scrape 
ban/bane   van/vane   rod/rode
bed/Bede (Saint and historian)

war/ware(?)!!

Some more:
cloth/clothe   cod/code   met/mete   dot/dote   cot/cote 
pin/pine  but/Bute (Isle of)  bud/ Bude (Cornwall)  dud/dude(?)
(even pet/Pete)

The first post

spin/spine    shin/shine   breath/breathe   lath/lathe
cut/cute   thin/thine   fad/fade   bad/bade

Oh how I love this 'rule', unknown to me in childhood but learnt whilst on a supply teaching post.

The 'silent e' makes the letter SOUND its NAME, ie. 'a' as in fat becomes 'a' as in fate. There are loads of examples out there. If, like me, you love words and hadn't known this rule, you may enjoy spotting your own.

Ever since then, I've been on the look out for unusual specimens, of which 'lath', an answer in a crossword was my most recent discovery. I was really chuffed with that one. (Also, I hadn't realised before that a lath is a thin piece of wood (the clue!!). The things you can learn from a crossword, eh, that is if you can remember them the next time you see the clue, which I usually can't.)

Is 'car/care' an example, do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment