Tuesday 3 May 2016

On being happy within ourselves

The happier we are within ourselves,
the happier we will be with others.

This is one of those comments which I feel needs more explanation, otherwise, it can sound rather trite.
Being happy within ourselves means, to me, not needing other people to make us feel ok about ourselves.
It's another aspect of learning to accept ourselves for who and what we are, imperfect though that will always be.
If we rely on others to make us feel ok about ourselves, we will always be disappointed.

Perhaps I feel qualified to write this, having spent most of my life looking for affirmation and reassurance from others! It generally drives people mad, I find.
Sometimes, I receive it, especially from friends who tolerate my foibles because they're very long-suffering pals.
( I have tried, unsuccessfully, of course, not to look to husband for such bolstering. This mostly makes him so irritated, I receive the opposite!!)




No comments: